Residential New Dwelling Permits
This process applies only to the construction of new One- and Two- Family Dwellings in the City of De Soto
Process for applying for a Residential New Dwelling Permit.
- Use the City of De Soto's permit portal found here to apply for a permit to construct a new residential one- or two- family dwelling.
- Fill out all required information on the application. Please submit all subcontractors and license numbers at time of application. Permit will not become active until all contractor information is submitted to the City of De Soto Building Department.
- Upload required building plans and plot plan. Building plans must be stamped by a registered design professional. Plot Plan must be stamped by a licensed surveyor. Without required uploads your application will not be accepted or processed.
- Once plan review is completed by the De Soto Building Department, a copy of the building permit with a link to pay fees will be emailed to the applicant. If you wish to pay fees with a check or cash, please let building staff know and a copy of your permit will be available for payment by those methods at the front counter of City Hall. Electronic payment via the link provided in the email or through the portal will immediately cause permit to become active for construction.
- Once payment has been received signed plans will be available for download from the permit portal found here by searching for your permit using one of the available search fields. Signed plans can also be emailed to the contractor by request. Signed plans and plot plan must be available on site at time of inspection and is the responsibility of the permit holder to ensure their availability to the inspector when requested.
- After payment has been received, the permit is considered active for construction. Building permit letter can be downloaded through the permit portal found here and should be posted on site during construction.
Helpful documents for new dwelling construction
- Single Family Construction Erosion and Sediment Control
- 1- and 2-Family Dwellings Plan Requirements Checklist (PDF)
- 1- and 2-Family Dwellings General Construction Notes (PDF)
- 1- and 2-Family Dwellings Required Inspections (PDF)
- Residential Rough-In Priority List (PDF)
- Cold Weather Concrete Policy (PDF)
- Garage Door Wind Rating Details (PDF)
- JOCO Foundation Requirements (PDF)
- Residential Truss & I Joist Submittal Guidelines (PDF)
- Street Tree Requirements (PDF)